A Different Take On Pain

Good times...
Even though I've endured like a gazillion back injections and two spinal surgeries and am all better and such... on occasion I still hurt.

Oh SNAP! What's this about???

 Like my lower back will sting on either the right or left side of the screws and jeez Louise does it ever hurt! The pain is like the point of a paring knife puncturing my skin, pushing way deep in between my vertebras, all the way to my spinal cord. Sometimes I get these little streaks of searing hot pain coursing down my butt like tree roots. 

To say the least, it's pretty dang awful.
But, luckily, it isn't like it used to be and after a while it generally goes away to wherever the heck pain wanders off too. (Probably into a bush so it can pounce on its next victim.) 

Such a GOOD book & film! 
Well, a couple of weeks ago, I took my dog, Taz, out on a walk around my neighborhood and just as I had left my driveway the pain hit me so suddenly I almost had to crane my neck around to see if Miss Katniss Everdeen shot me in the back with an arrow. (Honestly, I might have taken the deliriously excited route if that happened, followed by intense fear/anger, because A.) I don't look like a deer and B.) I honestly don't want to be in the Hunger Games.)

Anyways, I'm getting off track here...
When the pain hit, I got SUPER angry and frustrated. I wanted to scream! 
And guess what happened?
The more and more I concentrated on how much it hurt in my lower back the more the pain seemed to intensify.  
Interesting, right? 

Later, I read a June 2012 issue of The Oprah Magazine and found an interesting article about this interview done with this guy from India named Deepak. There's this one point in the interview that struck home with me so much that I literally had to cut it out and tape the passage into my journal.

Oprah: And in 2010 you became a monk for a month.

Deepak: Yes, I went to a monastery in Thailand. We took baths in the stream, we begged for our food in the streets, I shaved my head and walked barefoot. My head monk asked how it was walking. I said it hurt without shoes. And he said, "It hurts on the foot that's down, but the one that's up feels really good--so focus on that one."

Oprah: Wow. 

Yeah. Wow is right! 
What an interesting perspective. 

I freaking love this!
So, the next time my lower back began to sting I made myself focus on all the other body parts that were perfectly fine. 
Like my arms for example, they felt lovely. Legs too. I thought about my fingers. No pain there. Wow, I never really noticed that before. I flexed them and they felt amazingly pain free. I brought attention to my face, noticing how my ears, eyes, nose, teeth, and cheeks didn't sting. I breathed in deep, sweet Oregon-air-filled breaths and thanked God my lungs were in SPECTACULARLY AWESOME condition. I then thanked the universe that I had a heart that beat full and (heh. heh.) heartily.

And guess what?
The pain in my lower back dissipated. 

AMAZING RIGHT????

In life the bad and painful, unfortunately, captures our attention far more often than the good. I challenge you to focus your attentions more on the good in your life and all the things you are grateful for and I promise you this will make you feel SO MUCH BETTER!!!

Blog to you later!
Love, 
Manders

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts