Favorite Books I've Read This Year



Hello. It's like 1:16am right now and I'm tired, not super tired, but, yeah, I'm reasonably tired (whatever the heck that means). I'm one of those people who gets really distracted throughout the day (with things like watching YouTube videos and The Big Bang Theory, and eating chocolate) and the things on my list that need to get done get put off, but I still do them, but like really, really, really late... like right now. 

Ah, that was some refreshing rambling wasn't it? 

Anyhow, since today is the last day of the year, I wanted to write a post about the my favorite books of 2012, which doesn't necessarily mean that they came out this year (even though some of them did), it just means that I read them this year. 

Ok, so my reading goal for 2012 was to read 20 books. Last year I made the ridiculously unachieavable starter goal of 50 books in one year. That's like a book a week just to let you know. I only read 12. But this year, I made a much more realistic goal of 20 books and guess what? I READ 22 BOOKS THIS YEAR!
BOOYAH! 
Yes, it's very exciting. You can calm down now. 

The cool thing about this was that it wasn't very hard. Setting a realistic reading goal made me want to read more and more. I sincerely suggest that you try one out. Get an account on GoodReads! And I especially mean you mother. Yes, you the woman who spent 38 horribly painful hours giving birth to me (this is awkward if you aren't my mother). Go get one now! 

Here is the link to the best website ever: GoodReads

So, I'm not going to talk about all 22 books I read, but instead narrow it down to my top five and briefly tell you why I liked those particular books. 

Ok, lets get this done, so I can go to bed! 



  1. The first book on my list is definitely The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. There is some much awesomeness in this book that it often makes me speechless when I try to explain it to someone. This book is about a girl, Hazel, who is 16 and has cancer, but it is also so much more than just that. It's about trying to make your mark on this world. It is funny and heartbreaking and intelligent and just so, so wonderful. There is romance and travel and awe... I just adore this book so much. I'm super in love with Augustus. I think he is one of the best YA (young adult) guys out there and... well, I don't want to spoil anything for you. I need to tell you something, normally I read good books in a week and really, really good books in 2 days (ex: The Hunger Games). I read this entire book on a flight from New York City to Portland, Oregon. I wish someone could have video-taped my face because I went from smiling, to laughing out loud, to pouting, to laughing again, to girlish giggling, to sobbing. I remember this guy was looking at me funny. I had to read the very last chapter once I got home because I knew I would make a huge scene. After I read it I was sobbing big time. Like snot-dripping-into-my-mouth sobbing. And if someone's written work can make me do that... good god, they have a gift. I related so much with this book because I've had a lot of medical problems in my life, especially at 16. The book touches on so many things that I thought about as a teen. The film rights have been sold. I believe the guy who directed The Perks to Being a Wallflower is directing this and the screenwriters from 500 Days of Summer have written the screenplay. So much awesomeness going on. Please do me a favor and read this book! I know, this wasn't exactly brief... oh well.
  2. The second book on my list would have to be Unwind by Neal Shusterman. "The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive." When my heart rate changes while reading a book or I react super emotionally like screaming, or being super afraid, or crying, or going awwwwwwwwweeee... I know I'm reading something super special. This book is well written, has a super crazy amazing original story, it's super creepy and thought-provoking and has great characters. Shusterman is a great story teller!
  3. The third book on my list is Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. This book is beautifully written and heartbreaking and I guess I really like heartbreaking books. It's one of those books you'll never forget and that changed my point of view about the world and love and the law. I highly recommend it to the openminded reader or even to the close-minded reader who will eventually open their mind. Just to let you know I was SUPER hesitant before reading this book due to the subject matter and could barely look at my brother without feeling nauseous the whole time I read it. Just a warning. But I highly, highly, highly recommend this book. It is incredible! 
  4. Book number four is The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It's a memoir and it made me really happy reading it. It's about this lady who spends a year trying to work on the simple things in life that will make her happier. It's a great read. I took lots of notes, while reading it and I definitely learned a lot. You will love this book!
  5. Book number five is I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan. It's one of those hidden gem books. This is Sloan's debut novel and it's terrific. Told in third person, it tells this wonderful story about two brothers. There is also a little bit of a romance in there, which is something I definitely like. It is about fate and how our stories/lives weave together and how we affect each other. Lovely, lovely story. YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THIS BOOK! 
  6. Ok, I lied... one more. Book number 6 is The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. While I had to force myself to read the rest of Shiver, I had to force myself to put down The Scorpio Races so that I could get some school work and chores in. I absolutely adored this book! I'll admit that it is kind of slow at times, but it is definitely worth reading all the way through. It's about these blood-thristy water horses that emerge from the sea every October - November and these islanders race them in (wait for it) the Scorpio Races held on every first of November. It is told from two perspectives, a teen boy and girl who both have a good reason to enter this super dangerous race. Very original. So glad I gave this book a go even though I did not take to the Shiver Trilogy. I just like watching Maggie on YouTube too much and reading her amazing blogposts. She is also hilarious on Facebook and is such an inspiration. I think she is one awesome author. READ THIS BOOK! The audiobook is fantastic too, I just bought it. 


Alrighty, well I need to sleep. I hope you set a reading goal for next year and add these to your list if you haven't read them already. 

Night!

Blog to you later. 
Love, 
Manders 

Comments

Popular Posts