40,000 words and Boredom



Hola!
Today's blog is going to be another update on my life.

School: 
Well, I finished off Spring term at PSU with flying colors. I got a 95% on my term paper for psychology which made me scream with glee. My final grades were:

  • Psych204 (A-)
  • Behavior Analysis (A)
  • Stats243 (B)

(Oh and here's what I've been thinking! Since my aerobics teacher won't be there Fall term I was thinking I should try something I've never done before like karate, self-defense, or tennis. What do you think?)

Summer Thus Far: 
It's been pretty wet and slightly boring lately. Salem has been pouring the past couple of days and it honestly does not feel like summer here. Been watching a lot of Netflix, eating a bajillion tacos, writing, and slowly cleaning my room. I'm going to Disneyland this week, which is awesome! I'm super stoked about this trip to Southern California to hang out with my roommate for a few days.
A totally relevant picture. 
Today I drove my brother nonstop to and from PDX, which was like a 3-hour car ride for me. I normally wake up at 11:30am, but today I had to wake up at 6:50am, which was, not gonna lie, brutal. Some of you may be rolling your eyes at me, but I didn't sleep well that night. My left knee (which pops the most frequently and loudest out of my two knees) was killing me last night. It was a deep sharp sort of pain that kept me up for hours. I took medication before I drove Drew and it went away for a while, but now it hurts and I'm afraid there is something really wrong with it. I swear, I was born with an elderly lady's body!

Writing: 
Novel #2 is coming along very nicely. I've made it to 40,000 words, which is a huge accomplishment. My book is only 10,000 words away from a legitimate novel-length word count. It's just about halfway done, at least I think it is. I've gotten a ton done on it. It's getting to that point where I can see all the puzzle pieces coming together and it's looking more like the image I had in my head.
I've decided something: Dialogue is by far my favorite part of writing a story.
Writing a novel is like being manic depressed. There are days when I want to kiss my laptop and other days when I want to chuck it out into the rain and never write a single word again. I can definitely get moody and it sucks. I think that's when I need to step away for a little bit and take a break.

I have to keep reminding myself that what I write today will not be what's in the final product, so it's ok to suck now because it won't (hopefully) later. But you gotta suck first before you can polish it into something publishable.

I'm also thinking about sending an essay to 17 Magazine. 
This essay. The one that has yet to be published: Pain Reveals You.
What else?
I'm going to try to meet up with my Uncle Scott and his family on their boat in Greece this summer. So, we shall see how that goes. Other than that... not much.
That's it.
Oh! Wait! Actually! I'm getting really excited about Divergent, which I'm pretty sure is almost done filming and my all-time favorite book ever The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, which will start filming at the end of August.
Ok, now that's it.

Blog to you later!
Love,
Manders

Comments

Popular Posts