Thoughts on Rape and Virginity



Hola!
Interesting title you got going on there Amanda. What prompted this???? 
As with most of my blog posts... Twilight. 

In the movie Eclipse which is the third installment in the Twilight Saga there is this one part in which Bella and Edward are alone in his house and... well... she tries to GET IN ON!!! She's all kissing him and trying to rip off his shirt when Edward, the gentleman, stops her.
At which point the following conversation ensues.

Edward: Believe me, I want to. I just wanna be married to you first.
Bella: You really make me feel like I'm some sort of villain trying to steal your virtue or something.
Edward: It's not my virtue I'm concerned about.
Bella: Are you kidding?
Edward: It's just one rule I wanna leave unbroken. It might be too late for my soul but I will protect yours. I know it's not a modern notion.

Ok, so it's that last bit (It might be too late for my soul but I will protect yours.) that I have a major problem with. I'm not okay with the idea that one's virginity is linked to their soul. Like if a person has sex before they are married it somehow damages their soul.
Glad Tony Stark approves. 
What if that person was raped?
Is their soul still ruined or do they get a free pass?

*Takes a deep breath and exhales* Clearly this topic boils my blood and turns me into a enormous green rage monster. Oh wait a second, that's the Hulk. Still, it gets me angry.
And it's actually a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately since it is a subject I am currently tackling in Novel #2. 

While waiting to have sex before marriage is a valiant goal, I don't think--in regards to your soul--that it is the most important goal in life. And I think that society is sadly pushing the idea onto millions of young girls that virginity and keeping pure till marriage are contributing factors to their worth as a human being, which is NOT OK.

My personal opinion: Our worth isn't based on our sexuality. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter whether or not we stay pure till marriage. Being a virgin isn't wasn't determines our value as decent human beings. How we treat people and what we do with our lives determines that. 
So when it comes to rape. It isn't something that ruins your soul, what ruins your soul is a failure to continue living despite what's happened in your life. 

 Coming back to Edward and Bella, I think what bothers me the most about this particular scene is that millions of young girls have watched it and many of them may have ended up forming unrealistic expectations about life because of it. I know I did. I used to see the world in black and white. There were good people and bad people, but that's just not true. There are many shades of grey, which is honestly what makes this life so fascinating to live. 

Anyhow, there's my rant. I had to get it out of my brain. 
I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Blog to you later!
Love, 
Manders  

P.S:

And also, if you've missed my blogpost about My Relationship with Twilight you should check it out.

Just an interesting YouTube video I found about "Purity Balls."


And also, you should check out Laci Green's channel. She is flipping hilarious!

Comments

Popular Posts