My Relationship with DEXTER
So, since DEXTER ended this year I thought I'd write a post on my relationship with this bloody good TV show.
(Warning: This post will contain SPOILERS.)
Ok, so in order for me to tell this story we have to take a trip back 2 years ago in 2011, back when I was studying abroad in Florence, Italy.
Actually--I just lied--we're gonna go back a little further than that. More like 2010.
So here's the thing, before I went to Italy my brother told me I had to watch DEXTER.
Drew: You have to watch DEXTER.
Me: What's it about?
Drew: A serial killer who kills serial killers.
Me: Um... No.
Drew: But it's sooooo good!
Drew: Just watch the first episode.
And so this is what I did.
The first episode starts off with Dexter's narration as he drives. He says: Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen, again and again. It has to happen. Nice night. Miami is a great town. I love the Cuban food. Pork sandwiches. My favorite. But tonight I'm hungry for something different now.
And I absolutely loved this part. It was eerie and poetic and totally set the mood. Also the score is perfect!
Next there was this choir dude with a bunch of young school boys singing and then afterwards Dexter snatched up this guy and jabbed him in the neck with a needle. He like tranquilized him. At this point, I turned Netflix off because YUCK!
So, yeah, I only lasted like 5 minutes because I'm someone who has a strong background in watching Disney movies and the majority of my rated R movie experiences were only rated R due to the language aspect not so much the graphic aspect. I watched stuff like 1.) Juno 2.) Little Miss Sunshine and 3.) Slumdog Millionaire.
Not anything remotely close to the glorification of murder.
But, I must admit that the premise still captured my attention.
I still thought about possibly returning to Dexter at some point in my life.
Just not soon. Haha.
Later when I went to Italy the friends I made there told me how good DEXTER was, so I became intrigued again and decided to give it another shot. I promised myself that I would sit through the entire first episode and then decide whether or not I wanted to continue.
Well, this time was entirely different! By the time it came to the end where Dexter looks in his freezer and there is like this little Barbie doll all cut up into pieces I was like: Holy crap! The Ice Truck killer is still out there!
Then I watched the rest of the season like I drink chocolate soy milk...
I basically DOWNED it!!!
And then I just had to watch the 2nd Season.
- HATED Lila and hated that Dexter ditched Rita for her.
- Like that he went to that drug rehab thing. That was cool.
- And that Doakes was on Dexter's tail until BAM!
- Glad he went back to Rita.
- Glad Dexter had a friend who knew what he did.
- Rita is pregnant.
- Miguel gets a little crazy.
- Kills off Miguel.
- Proposes to Rita.
- Not gonna lie: Kind of a boring season.
- Holy Crap!
- Trinity Killer.
- John Lithgow is horrifying!
- Dexter is so sweet with little Harrison.
- Rita... NOOOOOOOOOOO! (Unfortunately, I was spoiled about this.)
The rest of the seasons were ok, but they seemed a bit redundant. Some thoughts:
- Yeah, he has Lumen to love and she knows about him. How great!
- Ok, never mind. She's gone. That sucks.
- Poor Aster and Cody.
- Debra and Quinn. :)
- He proposes to her and she isn't having it. GAH! Why???
- She likes Dexter??? Ewe!!! I mean, they're not related though.
- Poor Joey.
- Colin Hanks!!!
- ... is actually the bad guy!!! Ahhh!!!
- Debra saw!!!
- Debra is trying to fix him. Understandable.
- LaGuerta is catching on. Uh-oh.
- Bam! Deb shoots her.
- Hannah. Another serial killer. Maybe they'd be a good pair.
- Has to send her away. Police nab her. She looks pissed.
- Not sure if I really liked her anyway.
- Deb is crazy now!!! Understandable.
- Dr. Vogel was super cool.
- Deb tries to kill Dexter. What???
- They figure things out. Friends again.
- The Brain Surgeon. Super interesting.
- Deb and Dex are friends again.
- Hannah is back.
- Argentina? What?
- Elway is after Hannah and Dexter and kind of had a thing for Deb. Why does everyone have a thing for Deb???
- Vogel's throat gets slit!!! Awful!!! By her own son.
- My friend Dora from the Texas film I worked on called My Dog the Champion played Vince Masuka's daughter, which I thought was totally random to the storyline.
- Then that ending...
- Deb deserved a better death! I didn't want her to die!
- Dexter becomes a LUMBERJACK?!?!?!
- Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
Here's what I expected from the ending:
I wanted Dexter to get caught. I wanted there to be some major consequences. That series finale was pathetic! Now that I am watching the last season Breaking Bad I am even more furious about it! It could have been SO much better! I don't know what happened. I feel like the writers just gave up.
Here is a video that basically sums up my thoughts about this series.
I love Jeremy. He's awesome!
Well, that being said I really, really enjoyed the journey I took with Dexter. I never knew I could fall in love with a serial killer. Like that takes a lot of talent to make a show like that! Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter were absolutely amazing. And I honestly miss hearing Dexter's narration in my life.
Here are some of my favorite quotes:
- Voice over: "Darling Rita, once you were a dream and a prayer. Now our future is as bright as the sun glinting off the morning dew. And I vow that I will..." Sounds like I'm marrying a unicorn.
- Voice Over: If home is where the heart is, where do you go when you don't have a heart?
- Voice Over: In the land of predators, the lion never fears the jackal.
- Voice Over: A wolf would chew off its own paw, its survival instinct is that fierce. So is mine.
Blog to you later!