Monday, June 23, 2014

First Day of Class

Hola!
Yes, I'm Ron Swanson excited. 

So, today I just had my first meeting for the Neuroscience Outreach Program. Again, I am very, very excited about it. I will be working at Madison High School during the month of July. I chose this school because it starts and finishes the soonest, which is important for me because I start working as a counselor at Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp on August 2nd.

I am super stoked for this opportunity because lately I've considered becoming a psychology teacher as a future career prospect, specifically for community college, so getting some teaching experience early will be fantastic! I get to work with the science teachers from Madison High School and some art students to help come up with lessons plans about the brain! I'm really excited (I know I keep saying this, but that's because it's true)! My teacher Mr. Greiser (who actually taught Perception, which was my favorite class last term) was very encouraging today. He explained that many of us may feel scared to teach neuroscience to these kids, but that it is going to be ok. I'll admit that I am slightly nervous like I don't feel entirely qualified, but that is what some of the TA's who did this last year said. They said that the kids don't feel like they can learn this material and the undergraduates feel like they can't teach it, BUT THEY CAN.
Not true, but I thought it was a relevant gif. 

I think that's the most important thing to take into consideration here and in anything really--keeping optimistic and believing in yourself. I have to keep reminding myself that I love this material and I have excelled in it in my past classes. I have worked in classrooms before and love kids... I can definitely do this!

Well, the weather is fantastic outside today, so I am going to add a couple of photos here, make some lunch, and then get my butt outside!

Have a great day! And stay optimistic and enthusiastic about life.
Love,
Manders
Hope y'all are enjoying your summer so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment