First World Problems

Hola!
Me and Miss Jamie. 

I need to tell you a story. I know, another one.
Let's begin.

So, I have an iPhone 5 and there is a lock on it that only I can open.
Wahahaha!
Or so I thought...

My roommate Jamie kept taking pictures on it, which drove me nuts.

Me: How do you know my password?
Jamie: *smiles mischievously*
Me: How do you know? Tell me!
Jamie: *still smiles mischievously*
Me: Ok, well I'm just going to change the password then. Ha!

Not too long later, I find unfamiliar photos on my phone. She did it again!

Me: Jamie, how can you possibly know?
Jamie: *smiles mischievously*
Me: Speak! You're freaking me out.
Jamie: *still smiles mischievously*
Me: Are you like a wizard or something because this is impossible?

Hmm, I wonder what that camera on the bottom right is for?
As you can imagine, this cycle went on for far too long. I'd change my password and she'd still be able to take pictures then I'd change my password again until... uh oh... I totally forgot it.

Then my iPhone got disabled for 5 minutes which turned into 15 minutes which turned into an hour which turned into FOREVER. And the worst part about all of this was that I had never backed up my iPhone. I didn't know how. Haha! So, I ended up losing all of the lectures from class I had recorded, pictures of my life, etc.


I wanted to cry.
Like dramatically fall to my knees, slap my palms to the ground, and cry out in agony over this catastrophe, especially when I found out that Jamie never knew my password. Apparently you can just slide the lock screen up and take photos that way.

Well, luckily before this event happened. I was on Twitter and saw these tweets from John Green and I have to admit that it changed my life for the better.


The Urban Dictionary defines "First World Problems" as: Problems from living in a wealthy, industrialized nation that third worlders would probably roll their eyes at.
Aw, crap, I don't know which 1 carat diamond encrusted platinum ring to buy!

After remembering that. I came to the sudden realization that Wow, I was having a First World Problem and that the world wasn't going to end and I wasn't going to die. Sure, what happened sucked, but please... It's nothing.

NOTHING.

There is this buddhist quote that goes: "You only lose what you cling to."
Yoda & Cake. The perfect gif. 

And then there is this similar quote by Yoda in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith that goes: "Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose. The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side."

Now, in this particular scene Yoda discusses the dangers of attachment, specifically when it comes to people and how we must accept death, which is, um, not what I'm talking about here, haha; however, here is my point: We shouldn't get attached to materialistic things.

If we do and we lose them we are causing ourselves a lot of grief over something that really doesn't matter.

Also, it's really important to cultivate gratitude. Wake up with a grateful heart every morning. Even if you are having a really crappy day, there is always something, no matter how small it is, to be thankful for.

Now, when I complain about something I generally add "First World Problems" and then my whole view on the situation is changed.

Here is a list of some of my First World Problems:

  1. Too many food carts! I'm overwhelmed. 
  2. Out of toilet paper. I don't want to walk to Safeway. 
  3. Ugh, my iPod is dead. I have to charge it. 
  4. Netflix isn't loading! 
  5. Hardly anyone liked that photo I posted on Instagram. 
  6. There's not enough room to put more groceries in the refrigerator. 
  7. Ah man, they're out of Ginger Ale on this flight. 
  8. Dang it! Gas tank is low, got to go to the gas station today. 
  9. Ewe, I have to go do the dentist. 
  10. I don't want to get out of my warm, cozy bed to get a glass of water. Oh, but I'm so thirsty! 
  11. Long lines at grocery stores. 
  12. Burnt my finger getting toast out of the toaster. 
  13. Where the hell is the remote?
  14. It's super hot outside and the AC is way too cold inside. 
  15. Earphones getting tangled up. 
  16. Over/under brewed tea. 
  17. Stepping on something wet while wearing socks. 
  18. Burning the popcorn in the microwave. 
  19. Cold car seats in the winter. 
  20. Having a restaurant table indoors while it's sunny outside. 
  21. Pouring cereal into a bowl without first checking to see if I had Almond Milk. I didn't.
  22. Facebook Status with 0 likes. 
  23. 30 second Ads before your YouTube video. 
  24. Bought new shampoo. Forgot to bring it in the shower. 
  25. I have more clothes than hangers. 

Here is my challenge for you. Look at your life and figure out what some of your First World Problems are. Do you complain about them a lot? Are they really that big of a deal?

Next I want you to take a moment to realize what you are really grateful for.
I promise you, this will make you so much happier.
The choice is up to you.

Blog to you later!
Love,
Manders

Comments

  1. Uhm..... I've definitely got most of these first world problems. hahaha. Normally I just think them in my head though. This was great! I was trying to think of things to comment on your FB post, but couldn't think of any in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was actually kind of tricky to come up with them! I say "First World Problems" all the time, but I kind of forgot some of them. I'm glad you liked this post Erika!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts