Fall 2014 Updates: Blogging and Neuroscience Conference in DC

Hola!

I haven't written anything on here for a really long time, so I thought I'd take like 10 minutes (ha! more like an hour) out of my day to update y'all on my life.

Health: 
I've been biking around the waterfront a lot too!

Well, I am currently sick. It was bound to happen sooner or later. All my friends were sick. I just want to sleep, so I should do that! I promise I'm going to bed immediately after I write this.

Last week I went the doctors for the first time in a little under a year and a half. I had a terrible, terrible experience with my old doctor the last time I saw her (the experience resulted in a full-blown panic attack, in which she handled super poorly), so from that moment on I wished to never see a doctor again.

My mom, however, pushed me to find a doctor I trusted. So, I did some research and found a naturopathic doctor I love. She is the coolest, most down to earth, awesome doctor I've ever met. In fact, she's more than a doctor, she's also a therapist, and teacher. She also told me how brave I was for seeing her after my experience. She told me that mustn't have been easy, which she was totally right about. The morning of my appointment. I had a panic attack. And here's the thing: I will drop everything I'm doing to help my friends, but I have the hardest time ASKING for help. So after talking to my mom (who helped me out quite a bit) I called one of my friends to see if she could come to the appointment with me. She did and I'm so glad she did because the whole thing went very smoothly. I'm so blessed to have such awesome friends who will do stuff like this for me.

If you are in a similar situation... ask for help! People are more than happy to do it and if they aren't, I think it's time to get some better friends. And if you are hesitating on something in your life (like for instance scheduling an appointment with the doctor), take a deep breath, and take that first step. I promise you it will BE OK. I'm constantly being reminded of this. With a little help from my friends and a deep breath I can get through anything.

THE BE OK BLOG:
This month, October, we are focusing on the theme of fears and overcoming fears. What is your fear? Write it down on a piece of paper, take a pic with it, & remember to add the hashtag #thebeokblog
We can get through our fears together!

So, yesterday was The Be Ok Blog's one month anniversary! I am so incredibly stoked about this. Being the Cofounder of this blog has seriously been one of the most rewarding experiences on my life. Delaney and I have been brainstorming like crazy the past couple of days and we have some great things planned for the next upcoming months.

I've also been taking a lot of risks with this blog like for instance sharing incredibly tough stories about my past in order to help others and not only sharing them, but sharing them via vlog format. So far I've recorded two videos. The first one was about my fear, which is the future. I plan to film more in the future, but at the moment I need to replace my laptop's hard-drive and will be receiving one of my brother's camera's soon, so I can like go outside and interview people too.

My laptop had to see the doctor...
The first video was pretty easy to make, the second one, however... eh, not so much. As the Cofounder of the blog it is easy to encourage others to share their stories of trials and tribulations, but it is not so easy when it comes to sharing my own story. Since the second week of October was Mental Health Awareness week I shared my own experience with panic attacks and seeking a therapist (my most vulnerable and painful experience to share). To tell you the truth, I honestly just wanted to type out this story and list it under a pseudonym (and there is no shame in that by the way for those who have already done that or plan to), however, as I embarked upon this project I wanted to be a face you could connect a tough story to; I wanted to be living proof that you can be a happy-go-lucky positive person even after a rough introduction into this world. Get the help you deserve. You will BE OK.

Happy One Month Anniversary! 
BE OK T-shirts: 
A lot of people have been asking me about purchasing a BE OK t-shirt lately. If you'd like one you can totally get one. And! Your purchase will go towards Doernbecher Children's Hospital. Now how awesome is that? It's $10 for a t-shirt, $15 for a v-neck, and $20 for anything that sparkles. There are a bunch of colors in each style that you can check out on The Be Ok Campaign's FB page or on Instagram @thebeokcampaign. Just email Lauren Taylor Hemmert at thebeokcampaign@gmail.com or you can just shoot her a FB message.

Neuroscience Conference in Washington DC
Yeah buddy! I'm going to DC this November. I'm pretty stoked to say the least. Haha! Now how did I get invited to such a thing? Well, remember how I taught incoming freshman Neuroscience over the summer at Madison High School? Well, that program I worked with NW Noggin is going to have a panel on what we did (they'll talk about how important it is to teach kids about the brain) and I guess I'm going to help present (I honestly didn't really know this until after I bought my ticket), kind of scary but whatever, new experience.
I really, really can't wait!

School: 
School is good. Studying my butt off as always. Love what I'm learning about the brain. It is seriously the most fascinating thing to learn about... EVER!
I'm also taking an Abs & Lower Body class, so I'm getting into really good shape as well. Like I am super impressed with how well my back is holding up. The stronger the core the stronger the back and that's what I want. I also learned that I really like to challenge myself and like feel the burn while listening to "Turn Down for What" which is a super motivating song when working out. Haha!

Had a great time with Keiana & Kerstin at Velo Cult Bike Shop where we listened to a talk given by grad student Megan Slaker from WSU Vancouver on her research on Memory, Drugs, & Perineuronal Nets. PNCA artist Dawn Nielsen also made an interactive Perineuronal Net art piece that the audience got to fill up with balloons. Velo Cult also donated $1/pint sold to the neuroscience/art outreach efforts in Portland & Vancouver. This was something I was involved with last summer and will be representing in Washington DC this November. Fun night socializing with friends and learning more about our fascinating brains!
Hooked on Case Study Coffee. Love the vibe there!


Book:
So, obviously due to... well, life. College. Everything. Novel #2 is slowly, but surely being written. I totally changed how I am going to tell the story and I'm loving the rewriting process. It's true, my outline is 95 pages long.

Dreams: 
I just have to say that I freaking love Delaney! I love, love, love working on The Be Ok Blog with her and telling her about my dreams. We are actually quite similar and want the same things. It's funny because I met up with my advisor a few weeks ago in a panic. I was like I should go to grad school because that's what everyone is doing, but I don't know... like I don't really want to do that yet. I don't know what I want. And he was totally cool about it. I told him what I was up to as far as my writing (books and blogs and vlogging) and goals for life were and my advisor told me that it seemed like I was on a good track. He told me that I will figure out sooner or later if I need Grad School. It was such a good experience and I'm really glad I saw him. I don't often have pleasant experiences with advisors.

Here are my dreams:

  1. I want to be a professional blogger, YouTuber, travel writer, and author.  
  2. I really want to incorporate my passion for film, writing, and psychology into one. Like educating people about psychological issues via fun YouTube videos. 
  3. I want to give motivational talks at schools. 
  4. One day I'd also like to give a TedTalk.
And... yeah, that's a good list to start off with for now.

Alright, this sicko needs to rest. 
I have big dreams and lots of support for those dreams. Michael Phelps once said: "Never underestimate the power of those who believe in you."


Dream big, work hard, be humble.
It's going to BE OK.

Love,
Manders

P.S: Other stuff.

A film I worked on as a Production Assistant in 2012 is now at my local RedBox in Portland, Oregon! Check out the family film "My Dog the Champion."

On Oct. 21st I aw Mø & Holychild with Keiana at the Wonder Ballroom!

Went Geocaching for the first time last weekend! We found 2 things. One of them was in a tree. I'm hooked! Can't wait to go on more adventures!

Comments

Popular Posts